Your get all the neatest jobs!!

Albrechtsberger (Beethoven's teacher) composed seven
concertos for Jew's harp and mandora, of which three
survive.  They really are quite pleasant works in the
galant style, unlike his rather severe fugues for a
string quartet (two violas).  I think you and your
audience will enjoy them. Some may even start dancing
in the aisle.<g> It's happy, but not necessarily funny,
music.

There were several internationally touring Jew's harp
virtuosos in the late 18th- and early 19th-century, and
the instrument was held in high regard.  It could
"convey outpurings of pure feeling in tones from better
worlds." (quoted by our friend Dieter Kirsch in Orfeo
C035 821 A).

Albrechtsberger first encountered the Jew's harp when he
was a student
organist at the Melk Monastery, where one of the
brothers was a virtuoso player. He often played
accompanied by a mandora.  He could also play two-part
harmony.

(Why does Melk keep coming up on this list?<g>)

David, does the orchestra have two viola parts?  Two
violas are typicalof divertimentos.  Cf. Mozart's horn
quintet, an divertimento with minuets framingthecentral
slow movement. One ofthe minuets was removed.  The cut
pages can be seeninthe autograph.