I wonder if lutenists of the 15th and early 16th centuries felt the
same about the introduction of the 7, 8 and 10 course instruments, not to
mention the theorbos, attorbiatos etc., as some of us seem to feel about the
liutos forte, ruby gambas, arch guitars, etc.

Also regarding Julian Bream, I think Bream gets a damn good sound out of
that lute of his. I think his playing on the "Two Loves" album he did with
Peggy Ascroft reading from Shakespeare is excellent. I don't know that there
is one, and only one, way a lute can sound. Every lute I've ever played on,
or heard played, sounds significantly different from every other lute. So
how do we determine what the authentic sound of a lute should be? It all
seems to come down to the fancy of the moment.

What I get from reading about early players is that they eagerly sought out
and made use of whatever the latest innovation was. That's why we have such
a wide spectrum of lutes and lutelike instruments availlable to us today. I
say the more the merrier, innovate away.

I have to admit, however, that the makers of the liuto forte do make some
uncalled for and disparaging remarks about traditional lutes on their
website. Does anyone know of a CD or mp3, etc. featuring the liuto forte?
I'd like to hear how it sounds.

Best to All
Gary