Edward

> I agreed, then found out to my horror a week before the concert that the
> modern string orchestra numbered about 40, not including three
> Double-Basses.
>
> In the reduced sections of both, and slow movement of the the Vivaldi
> (which
> only calls for Continuo and Solo Cello), the archlute (67/145 Harz) could
> be
> JUST heard. Needless to say, in the fast movements and tutti sections, the

But here the conductor/orchestra/organisation is to 'blame' for an inaudible
archlute. A single archlute was never designed to be heard in such an
orchestra. When I find myself in situations like these, I make the most of
the places where I can be heard, strum along in the tuttis and try to get a
place in front where my notes have the most chance of being heard and,
indeed, the instrument at least looks nice. Sometimes they give me a mic,
but that can be hard as well, because the feed back you get is not always so
good.
Anyway, modern orchestras usually pay well. :-)

David