Dear All,
Concerning the famous passage from "The Book of the Courtier" :-
I have pasted a copy of the English translation by Sir Thomas Hoby
of 1561 below. Hoby spent a number of years living in Italy, and
presumably brought some understanding of contemporary Italian
to his translation of Castiglioni. It's interesting that Hoby translates
"cantare alla viola" as "sing to the lute," which suggests that Hoby assumed
that Castiglioni had the viola da mano in mind. From the passage as a
whole it is clear that fretted instruments were held in high
esteem, with both the lute and viol mentioned specifically.
On the vexed question of frets, or "freats" as Hoby spells the word,
it appears that he has opted for implying fretted instruments. It seems
to me, however, that the correct translation of the original may
indeed favour keyboards. This would make more sense to me,
as the most popular fretted instruments are mentioned in the passage
separately.
There is some evidence for use of keyboards in Italy early in the 16th
century - for
example, the manuscript of dances for keyboard c.1520 in the
Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana in Venice (Ital.iv.1227).

Incidentally, the Hoby translation of "Il libro del Cortegiano" is of
considerable
interest in its own right as one of the vehicles which introduced
Italian Renaissance culture to Elizabethan England.

Best wishes,

Denys

"Then saide the Lord Gasper Pallavicin. There are many sortes
of musike, as well in the brest as upon instruments, therefore
would I gladly learne which is the best, and at what time the
Courtier ought to practise it.
Me thinke then answered Sir Fredericke, pricksong is a faire
musicke, so it be done upon the booke surely and after a good
sorte. But to sing to the lute is much better, because all the
sweetnes consisteth in one alone, and a man is much more heed-
full and understandeth better the feat manner, and the aire
or veyne of it, when the eares are not busied in hearing any moe
than one voice: and beside every litle errour is soone perceived,
which happeneth not in singing with company, for one beareth
out an other.
But singing to the lute with the dittie (me thinke) is more
pleasant than the rest, for it addeth to the wordes such a grace
and strength, that it is a great wonder.
Also all Instrumentes with freats are full of harmony, because
the tunes of them are very perfect, and with ease a man may doe
many thinges upon them that fill the mind with sweetnesse
of musicke.
And the musicke with a sette of Violes doth no lesse delite
a man: for it is verie sweet and artificiall."

Baldassare Castiglioni, The Book of the Courtier, Sir Thomas Hoby's
translation (1516)
(Dent, London, 1974) p.101