At 04:32 PM 8/3/2006, you wrote:
>Dear List:
>
>In a previous post, David van Ooijen provided the passage in Italian, which
>I paste below.  He also provided us with a link to the following
>
>Sono ancor armoniosi tutti gli instrumenti da tasti, perche hanno le
>consonanzie molto perfette e con facilit=E0 vi si possono far molte cose
>che empiono l'animo di musicale dolcezza. (Second Book, XIII)
>
>The troublesome word is "tasti," which both Mathias and Bernd have already
>pointed out means either keys or frets in Italian.  This double duty is
>also found in other languages...take for example the word "tecla" in
>Spanish.
>
>Although there is a tendency for us to want to believe that Castiglione
>meant the lute, we must also consider the importance of other instruments
>with =B3tasti,=B2 most notably, viols and keyboards.

I thought that the clue to resolving this was Castiglione's mention of
"consonanzie molto perfette."  I have taken this to mean the perfect
consonances which can be achieved on the lute by adjusting the frets in
meantone tuning, whereas keyboard instruments are stuck with the pitch a given
string or pipe was tuned to.  The lutenist (or viol player) has more than one
option for producing a given pitch, and can choose the one that is more in
tune.

It's not an original idea of mine, I just can't remember where I heard it.
Caroline