Ed,

    Wow, this is from a while ago.  Anyway, my
interpretation of the "hanging from a button"
technique was that there was a very taught piece of
gut stretched across the actual surface of the back of
the lute, which then "sat" on a button from your coat.

    Maybe I'm completely wrong about this - I've never
tried it myself - but I pictured it rather like a
picture frame with a super tight wire that hangs from
a nail.  Unlike a frame, however, the lute, being
bowl-backed, would need to be in direct contact with
your body/coat/button (or it would just roll forward).
 Unless one were very stiff with posture, I'd imagine
that the button would scrape against the surface of
the back of the instrument when you played.

    Anyway, I don't do this.  I just use a regular old
guitar strap.  I prefer the nylon ones because they're
quite light.

Chris