On Saturday 26 August 2006 15:29, you wrote:
> I feel hesitant to bring this up, because on the one hand I thought it was
> more or less evident and on the other hand I couldn't care less about how
> you make your own beautiful tone as long as you're happy with it. But it
> came up in a conversation, and it turned out opinions were not as united as
> I would except. So here goes:
>
> What direction should the strings get their maximum vibration for an
> optimum tone? Parallel to the sound board, perpendicular (at a right angle
> with the sound board) or something in between?

My feeling is that every way of stringplucking will result in a combination of
horizontal and vertical planes of vibration, but the way of plucking will
give a different relation between these two. a downward pluck gives a better
tone on a lute and this is correct with the physical explanation of the tone:
the string vibration perpendicular to the soundboard (the downward movement)
will directly move the entire soundboard. Of course the guitarpluck movement
will also move the soundboard but will give a tone which is weaker and higher
harmonics will also be less. The lute body works as sound cavity will amplify
this coupling of string and soundboard in a certain way. Don't know exactly
how this will help the downward movement compared with a guitar for example.
The way how one should pluck is directly coupled with the body form of the
instrument. Perhaps some lutemakers can tell something about this.
taco