--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I don't think it is important that you wrote the
> music yourself, but a
> renaissance musician would only have played the
> music he believed in.

Were did this idea ever come from?  Renaissance
musicians played whatever their patrons believed in.
For instance, there is an anecdote about Haydn's
patron, Count Esterhazy, who seriously reprimanded a
cellist in his employ who was gaining a reputation
outside the estate for being an excellent performer.
He said, "It is your duty to play well and you are to
take no pride in it."  This, near the end of the days
of the regular patronage system.  And we think the
music biz is hard today!

Perhaps there were some performers who did play only
what they believed in.  If so, we know nothing about
them.

I should be clear, I believe one can be a successful,
versatile musician without selling out.  There are
just more ways to do it than playing to your niche.

Chris