Dear Daniel and All,

I think most people would agree with Bob Spencer's (1976!) article that
there are two things called "archlute". One is the Italian solo lute of
the 17th century, typically 58/85cm with 14 courses (*all* double,
according to surviving examples).  The other is the continuo instrument,
a converted lute with a theorbo neck and typically 67/140cm with 6
double strings on the fingerboard and 8 single basses.  To me these are
not interchangeable.  The sound of the long single basses on the
continuo lute is quite different from the shorter octaved basses on the
little liuto attiorbato, and this is a serious problem when the bass and
treble are widely separated and a "hole" appears in the middle of the
music, a hole which is filled by the upper octaves of the basses on the
small lute.  I know Paul used to play a little lute with single basses
but I don't know what the historical precedent for it is.  The
instruments made in Venice in the 1630s and 40s by Matteo Sellas and his
workshop seem to me to epitomise this kind of lute and as far as I know
they were all double strung throughout (and no overspun basses, of
course....).

Best wishes,

Martin