Dear List:

Issues of musical style aside, Dowland, as performed by Sting does indeed
exist within a popular music system, by both its economic and transmission
factors.  As stated in the article ³Economic and Transmission Factors as
Essential Elements in the Definition of Folk, Art, and Pop Music²  by
Gregory D. Booth and Terry Lee Kuhn (Musical Quarterly 1990, vol. 74(3):
411-438), popular music systems work within a system of indirect patronage.
Art music, on the other hand, works within a system of direct patronage.
When music originally created under a patronage system (much of the music
before Beethoven) is later produced and disseminated under a system of
indirect patronage (Any classical recording available through Amazon or
Virgin records, for example), the music falls under the domain of popular
music, despite its art music origins.  So, David's pupil is correct to
believe that this is pop music, as is Roger Norrington's recordings of
Beethoven and the lot.

Jorge Torres