The discussion may go off on the wrong track if we assume that the lute
was replaced by the guitar.  The lute's function as an ensemble and
accompaniment instrument -- which was always its primary function --
was taken by keyboard instruments in high art music, and this seems to
have been a gradual process that took much of the 18th century.  Cf the
lute solos in the Bach passions that were replaced by organ and viola
da gamba in later versions, or the disappearance of lutes from the
musician rosters or pay records in Handel's oratorios.  I suppose the
same thing happened to the guitar--it was replaced as an accompaniment
instrument in serious music by the harpsichord, then the piano.  The
occasional Sor or Giuliani aside, it was always a backwater in
mainstream 19th-century art music.

Our tendency to focus on the solo music of both lute and guitar (an
area where the lute was indeed replaced by the guitar) is one result of
both instruments' being marginalized out of mainstream art music.  It's
also a result of the modern focus on instrumental music, which is a
stark contrast to the vastly greater importance of the voice in older
art music (and, for that matter, modern popular music).