Martin Shepherd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:    Dear All,

As Jacob's recordings using his Frei instrument demonstrate, there is no
reason why one should not play almost any Renaissance lute music on a
"long" lute - it's just a question of technique. As a maker, I am
constantly beseiged by people who say they cannot possibly play on a
string length greater than 58cm, yet want a 10c lute. Difficult
stretches are difficult on a 60cm lute, they are still difficult on a
67cm lute.

  Dear Martin,

  I agree vehemently here! ;^)

  One of the benefits that I've found w/ a longer string length is just the
opposite of the stretching problem. When trying to play "up the neck" my
fingers are often cramped on a smaller instrument. I've found A-lutes very
uncomfortable for chords and all but the simplest of runs above the 7th fret.

  60cms is okay but the longer mensurs offer a bit of ease and forgiveness as
well as a longer ringing tone. Most everything I can play on the tenor fits as
well on the 67cm lute for my medium sized hands.

  Sean