On Feb 27, 2007, at 10:09 PM, Daniel Rindler wrote:

> ...I wonder if people didn't develop perfect
> pitch at all when they routinely exposed to  such wide
> fluctuations in tuning?

People probably took those fluctuations in their stride, just as we
do in the early-music world today.  They became accustomed to hearing
different temperaments.

But even in the Old Days there would have been places where one would
be exposed to an absolute pitch.  One place would be in church.  It
would not have been unusual for many people to have been taken to
church at least once a week throughout their childhood.  They would
have heard the same organ every week, so perhaps there was a sort of
locational sense of absolute pitch.

If there was music in the home, the absolute pitch would have been
that of the keyboard, or possibly recorders, hopefully not
conflicting too badly with the church organ!

Orchestras must have had to rely on some source of absolute pitch.
Brass maybe?  I wonder if Baroque orchestras played in tempered tuning..

David Rastall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com