There is a difference.  The descant lute has a lute tuning, but they are
often tuned with the first course in a high d.  The mandolino (that is, the
Milanese or Lombard mandolino) has the first course a 4th higher, with the
first course in g, the 2nd d, the 3rd in a, the 4th in e, the 5th in b, and
the 6th in g.

ed

At 04:06 PM 4/10/2007 +0000, Mathias Rösel wrote:
>Don't want to open a can of worms, but... -- there is little difference
>between a mandolino and a descant lute, right? I mean, it still is two
>lutes, right?

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812