Dear Denys
        Thanks for these explanations that really do help to clarify my
rather vague intuitions about the linear (polyphonic) as opposed to
vertical approach to music.
We may be much more sensitive to the vertical aspects of the music
than the Renaissance lute person might have intended, and suffer
somewhat from linear deafness to some aspects that the composer did
intend us to hear.
There is also this question of modern standardization of instruments
(and voices?) that are implied in the naming of chords, as you
rightly suggest. Clearly the impossibility of naming something must
have an effect on its place in the musician's thought processes. I
had not thought at all about that aspect.
When we talk about, bass , tenor, alto and soprano lute, I suppose
this is just a convenient modern notion, or  was there some tendency
for standardizing string lengths and lute sizes (as well as diapason)
so as to make it easier for lutists to play together?
Regards
Anthony

Le 16 juin 07 à 11:46, Denys Stephens a écrit :

> Dear Neil,
> I find this question very interesting, because it uncovers
> some of the expectations created by the modern guitar tradition.
> We have agreed names for guitar chords because of the fixed pitch
> of the instrument.Admittedly there are three or four positions for
> the same chord on a guitar neck, but one only has to remember a few
> fingerings for them.
>
> The lute never had a fixed pitch because several sizes were in
> common use. Despite the modern fixation that lutes are notionally
> tuned in G, it was probably not a practical reality for historical
> players. So the standard fingering patterns that we think of
> as G, C , D or whatever in guitar terms would have needed different
> name on each size of lute. Sixteenth century lutenists clearly
> knew these patterns, but they don't seem to have had names for them.
> In the surviving English translation of Leroy's tutor there
> is a stave full of chord patterns shown in tablature below
> the heading 'common accordes' - but none of them are named.
> It's actually quite tricky to name a pattern involving placing four
> fingers on six strings if you don't have the convenience of
> appending a universally agreed label to it.It was a lot easier to
> show them in tablature, where a name was not needed to convey
> exactly what was required. In the Dowland / Besarde
> instructions we find examples of chords again, referred to here
> as 'griffes,' but once again no names.
>
> As Stewart has already said, the idea of 'chords' is strongly
> associated with strumming. I suspect that this has in some respects
> changed our notion of what a 'chord' is. For modern guitar it often
> means a fixed fingering pattern that's held for several beats. But
> even in the most chordal lute pieces I think we have to consider that
> historical players saw them as the progression of polyphonic voices,
> which is a different notion altogether.
>
> The sixteenth century approach to intabulation was to transcribe each
> voice, one at a time, into tablature. It was a linear rather than
> vertical process. So the need to think 'what chord am I playing now?'
> didn't arise. It just happened that at certain points the vertical
> alignment of voices produced chords in passing.
>
> So if one really wants named chords on the lute one has to apply
> modern guitar-like thinking and assume a fixed pitch. That might be
> helpful in some respects, but all the names will be wrong when you
> pick up a different sized lute.In my view it's one of those areas
> where modern guitar practice just doesn't translate very well onto
> the lute.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Denys

>>> Regards