Edo-san

> My only experience with 20th cen. composers is with Toru Takamitsu.

The Dutch Lute Society (NLV www.luitvereniging.nl) published a catalogue
with modern works for lute years ago. It was compiled by Ireen Thomas, a
former student of Satoh, who, as you may know, composed many pieces for
lute, some available from TREE-edition, many recorded on two cds with works
exclusively by him (available from the Japanese Lute and Early Guitar
Society  www.lgs-japan.org Not on the website, I will add them one of these
days, but I have both in stock). Since the publication of the catalogue many
new pieces have been written by various composers. I've heard of a German
loose leaf catalogue with modern lute music that keeps udating itself by
sending inserts to its subscribers regularly.

> The lute part for Sacrifice is written for a lute in E tuned like a
> guitar. :-/

I played the lute aria from Wagner's Meistersinger once, it calls for a
Stahlharfe if I'm correct: six strings, tuned like a guitar. But it was
_very_ well written music.

David