David,

--- LGS-Europe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I see more and more historical awareness in the
> non-early music players
> around me, so HIP is becoming part of main stream
> classical music. And I see
> a more liberal attitude towards HIP-ness in the
> early music players around
> me, so they are merging with main stream classical
> music.

Purely anecdotal evidence to the contrary: All of the
upper-end stores that sell CDs in my area have removed
their "Early Music" catagories.  At the same time
their "Classical Music" sections have shrunk
dramatically.

I'm not so terribly far from Chicago, a very large
city, but even there I've had quite a bit of
difficulty finding very many Early Music recordings,
whether classed along with other EM CDs or mixed in
with the classical albums in general.

Maybe Early Music downloads have grown?  I haven't
heard of much.  So far as I've heard, the only "early
music" artist that's doing very well is Sting.

Chris