On Jul 30, 2007, at 3:22 AM, Rob wrote:

> Our lute world is very different
> from the 17th century - no online list for debate (if we glorify it
> as such
> for a moment),

But still plenty of communication between musicians.

> much more regional variation in playing styles, more variety
> of continuo instruments,

Is that so very different from today?

> people creating their own rules,

There's a big difference between making up your own rules, and
learning the existing rules in order to know how to break them
effectively.

> and (to borrow a
> phrase) the performer was king, not the academic.

Among performers the performer was king.  Among academics the
academic was king.  Among composers the composer was king.  Not so
very different than our world today it seems to me.

> Our god is too small.

Amen.

> The 'rules' are interesting, but clearly were not adhered to
> universally.

Come on, Rob:  even if you create your own rules, there's such a
thing as playing a wrong chord.

DR