Hi Andy,

I'd never had the opportunity to try a keyboard guittar - thanks for
the info. I'd love to try one.  I thought I had some X-ray photos I
had downloaded from the internet, but I can't find them.  Have a look
at Tastenzister on the Musikinstrumenten-Museum der Universität
Leipzig site, esp. numbers 626, 627 and 628.

http://studia-instrumentorum.de/MUSEUM/zist_tast.htm

Actually, Steffen Milbradt speaks English very well and may have more
info and/or photos.

By the way, Anne Ford talks about damping with the right hand:

        The Imperfections of the Guittar, and all these Sort of Instruments,
are, that when a full Note is struck, the Vibration continues longer
than it ought, and by this Defect, a disagreeable, unharmonious Buzz
is occasioned.  This would be intolerable where there is such Length
of wire as on a Harpsichord, and therefore the red Cloth in the Jacks
of that Instrument, by instantly returning to the Wire, removes the
Defect; and this may be in a great Measure done on the Guittar, by a
slight Dot of the Forefinger on the String vibrating, and by a little
Practice, it may be acquired without any Interruption to the
Performance, and with great Facility: And when the whole, or greatest
Part of the Instrument is open'd by a Clash across the Cords, it may
be instantly taken off, by letting the Ball of your Right-hand very
slightly touch all the Strings together, just over the Bridge.

        The Forte, and Piano, are the chief Beauties of this Instrument, and
therefore they should be always attended to.  In playing the Piano,
you may let the Ball of your [pk] Right-hand, very slightly, touch
all the Strings as described above, which will occasion a very
pleasing Variety, and give the Strings the Tone of Catgut.

---

I don't want anyone thinking that I keep all these references in my
head - this is something I was going to use for my Lute Society talk
next month.

Doc Rossi