Martyn Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 16:02:26 +0100
(BST)
From: Martyn Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LUTE] St. John Passion and the Mandora/Gallichon
To: Stewart McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lute Net <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>

Much as I would dearly wish that the mandora/gallichon (M/G for short) was the
instrument Bach intended, unfortunately I doubt it.  The principal reasons
outlined below are necessarily brief:

  To play all the bass notes requires an instrument with at least 8 courses
(with the 6th at Eb).  In 1724 the M/G in d was a relatively new instrument and
all contemporary tablatures, iconography and extant instruments of which I'm
aware around this date are only 6 course. The earliest original condition 8
course is the 1748 by Weigert - and the music (tablature)which requires such
instruments is in the later 'galant' style.

  Bach was usually accurate in the naming of instruments and, from its 18thC
introduction, the instrument was well known as the Mandora (or Gallichon) in
the German States (mostly Northern German) and in the Bohemian part of the
Hapsburg empire. The named lute part in the St Matthew Passion is, of course,
more idiomatic for the 13 course lute and I see no reason to suppose that he
called it so in one source but in another meant a different instrument.
Incidentally, I also see no real reason to expect Bach to have been able to
compose wonderfully idiomatic music for an instrument which he didn't play.

  The instruments requested by Kuhnau (NB we don't know if he was actually
given permission to but them .... and to hire players) were most probably the
large continuo M/Gs pitched in a with a string length 89 to 96cm and 12 frets
tied on the neck; often also single strung as the best extant examples: Schorn
1688, Edlinger 1728.  Many church ceiling paintings show such large very long
single necked instruments. There's evidence that the small d' (later also e')
M/G were amateur instruments whereas the large instruments in a seem to have
been professional continuo instruments. The St John aria is not playable on the
large M/G pitched in a.

  Martyn

  PS One part solution to the St John passion problem which I don't believe has
been mentioned, is to assume the organ was at high pitch (as often seems to
have been the case) and the lute was pitched a tone below thus obliging the
piece to be played a tone higher to keep the key relationships: in short
transpose it to F and play on a Dm lute a tuned a tone below what the voices
are singing at.

Stewart McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Dear Mathias,

As I understand it, there is an overlap in meaning with gallicon, mandora,
and similar words. I'm afraid I can't give chapter and verse for plucked
instruments at Leipzig. I probably read about the Leipzig instruments on
this list, so maybe someone could provide more information.

Best wishes,

Stewart.