Martyn's points are very well taken, although
there's a lot we don't know about the M/G I see no evidence of any kind for
a suitable historical model, making the
Gallichon  the least likely of the usual suspects
(well, someone did mention the renaissance lute).

I also agree that some sort of transposition is a
very likely interpretation, and from what we know about the recorder
  and viol parts in Bach a half step solution is
also possible, particularly on archlute.