I did this for a few years in the past (hang them on a wall), and it is the
only time I have had dryness related problems with my lutes.  Yes, the
instruments took up less space, and were very impressing in appearance in
my studio, but as others stated, they then collect dust, and also get
cracks easily.

I reside in northern Minnesota, where it gets very dry in the
winter.  Although I keep the studio humidified, cracks happened when I hung
the lutes on the wall.

I agree with what everyone said here... keep your lutes safe & happy, store
them in their proper cases.  Not only do they keep much safer & stable, but
some of them retain their "woody" aroma if stored in the case.

ed