That's the first time I've ever heard someone suggest that keeping an
instrument out of its case saves space.  Unless Chris and Carol have
no cases for their instruments, the cases have to take up space
somewhere, and they'll take up exactly the same amount of space with
the instruments inside them.  Some of the handier lute players I know--
Jim Lidgett and Bob Clair come to mind -- have rigged up floor-to-
ceiling shelf systems that can house a surprising number of
instruments in a surprisingly small space.

Except that cases can be stored away in a closet where they are less
accessible.