Le 17 sept. 07 à 18:49, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit :

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2007, Anthony Hind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
>> I don't think it is very easy to generalize, about this sort of
>> thing. What seems to be important, is constant temperature and
>> humidity; and while a case may slightly slow down the speed of a
>> change, it is probably better to have a lute on the wall with the
>> correct temperature and humidity, than a lute in its case in bad
>> conditions.
>
> true, but, note one thing, if a cased lute exists in a room with well
> controled conditions, once the case and the room are in agreement, the
> case moderates changes that either dont occur, or are considered
> trivial.
> The case will of course provide some degrere of physical protection
> for
> the lute, keeps it from dust, and acts as a barrier to whatever spore
> molds exist (outside and in).

Dama
        I have to say that I keep my wine in a cellar in cellular dense
polystyrene, but this is because wine can be damaged by small
vibrations as well as penetrating light, and the polystyrene most
certainly does save the wine from some temperature fluctuation.

However, I have the impression that lute- cases are made mainly to
protect lutes from accidental blows (while carrying them), and the
fact that most are black, shows that they are not designed
specifically to protect the lute much from heat fluctuations due to
sun, even if they may do so to an extent.

I would not be surprised if the case is made, as it is, more from
tradition than from any serious thought about protecting the
instrument from temperature and humidity fluctuations. Perhaps,
someone could come up one specifically designed forthis purpose

> It might be an interesting experiemnet to obtain two instruments that
> monitor atmosheric conditions and place one in a case, the other
> next to
> the case; record for a week, and see how the case moderates the
> changes.

Well actually, I should be able to tell you that, as I have a
hygrometer+ thermometer device on the wall, and a slave device in the
case. The slave device sends information to the master meter. The
meter rings when the slave goes below a certain pre-set degree of
humidity.

I can say that the measure is not identical within the case, and on
the wall. Unfortunately, I am whether this is not just a defect of
the meter. There also seems to be a variation when I put the master
and slave side-by-side. I have not tried to see whether the
difference is constant (ie the slave might always read + 10%, or
whatever).

If I insist on the fact that the case is not a guarantee, it is not
from a doom-prediction, but because I had the unfortunate experience
of finding a crack in the ebony of one my almost new lutes, although
it was in the case; while years ago, I did have a lute on the wall
(but with no ebony veneer) with no ill-effect.
I have still kept the lute in its case, but as the repaired crack
reappeared, even though I used a humidifier (possibly, according to
the lute maker, just because I did use a humidifier), I am much less
confident of the efficiency of this method.
Regards

Anthony