> I agree - quietness should be thought of as one of the lute's key
> qualities - not an issue to be overcome - as with another famously
> quiet instrument, the clavichord...
>
> Andrew

I seem to remember Willy Apel once commenting on hearing  a clavichord in
concert that at first he could not hear it at all, but once his ears
adjusted to the sound level, it was like surf crashing on the beach.

This discussion also reminds me of Peter Schickele's (sic) performance notes
to his "Duet for Bagpipe and Lute":
"When the bagpipe plays, you will not be able to hear the lute, but the lute
is pleasant to look at. So, when the bagpipe plays, enjoy the lute."

Gary