Uh-oh boys 'n girls- we're mixing our threads here. I've never felt
strongly about the marker marks except that they've always bothered
me aesthetically- but on rare occasions helped me out when playing
strictly from memory; which (classical) guitarists have always done
far more than any of us lute critters. (How do you get the guitarist
to shut up? -Give him sheet music)

I still want answers about the new, improved loaded basses that are
UNDOUBTEDLY coming our way any minute now...

.. And isn't it interesting that by the mid 17th century, seventy
some years after the Great String Improvement the French lutenists
had dropped the 1st course down to "f", singled out the 2nd, and
re-established 8ves at the 6th.  Of course Dowland could have been
voicing a musically elite and minority opinion in regard to the
unison 6th.

Not sure what the norm was for 8ves in Italy- but still set up for
mostly doubled firsts on liuti attorbiati, no?

Dan

--
Rachel Winheld
820 Colusa Avenue