They've been cracking down laterly. And I think we can
expect more as the industry flexes its muscles. One
woman from Duluth was fined $220,000 for copyright infringement,
just a few days ago (she could have been fined three
million dollars, according to news reports).

Here's the unfortunate results of Universal Editions
cease and desist threat. It's possible there will be NO
IMSLP in the future.  The NEC student has apparently
given up in frustration.

From MLA-List
As I am sure a number of you on this list know
already, IMSLP (www.imslp.org) is now the largest site
of downloadable public domain scores available on the
internet, with more than 15,000 scores, 9000 titles
and 1000 composers.

Unfortunately, the project has grown so large that the
site's owner (a music student at New England
Conservatory) can no longer afford the great amount of
time and expense required to run this site. We are
therefore looking for universty sponsors - preferably
a music library - to host both the Canadian and United
States versions of the site, with possible alternative
mirrors located in the EU and Asia.

This has been partially precipitated by a recent
threat of litigation on the part of Universal Edition
of Vienna Austria, who apparently wishes to enforce EU
copyright laws in Canada and the USA. Please direct
any inquiries to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The site will be taken down for the next
several days for maintenence and to remove certain
titles in order to comply with demands in the Cease
and Desist letter from UE's lawyers until volunteer
attorneys at the Canadian Internet Policy and Public
Interest Clinic of the University of Ottawa Law School
can prepare an adequate response to the legal
intimidation tactics employed by UE.

==AJN
Boston, Mass.
This week's free download: