Howdy, Dan!

I do use markers, as I play many different sized instruments.  I recall
working with a lutenist about 8 years, ago, practicing duets.  This
particular lutenist plays many different kinds of lutes, and in one piece,
he was not hitting the right note up on the 8th or 9th fret.  I suggested a
marker on the 7th, & he initially resisted, but then decided to consent in
trying it.  After using a drop of "white out" on the 7th fret, he played
the correct note every time.  He was a convert at that time.

Paul O'Dette also uses markers, and for good reason - it makes him a more
accurate player.  If one had only 1 instrument, then it would be less of a
need to mark the 7th fret.  However, with many different styles and length
lutes, it really is helpful  to use a marker, in my opinion.

I am curious to see, hear, or play the newly loaded strings;  however, I am
satisfied with copper or solver gimped, as they are true & accurate.

Dan Larson stopped loading strings years ago, for the same reasons that
Mimmo did.  It was too time consuming & expensive.  Many strings would
break, many were false.  It was also too time consuming for him to be
replacing false loaded strings.  So, he stopped production, and went with a
gut bass that sounds great & the quality control is vastly improved - the
gimped string.

ed