Top of the afternoon to you too, Ed-

Not against markers, just don't like the appearance. On my 72 cm. 8
course, (that's a LONG highway for these old fingers) Barber put a
very discreet little white dot at the seventh, on the neck near the
neck/fingerboard junction, worked very well anytime I was stupid
enough to look down at unspeakable activities happening on the
fingerboard.

I thought metal frets were avoided because they would eat up gut strings?

  -Dan