>On Nov 13, 2007, at 6:47 AM, Nigel Solomon wrote:
>
>>  Everything about it screams guitar to me: the sound, the nails, the
>>  general approach. Yes, a guitar that looks a bit like a lute!
>
>To me, everything about it screams liuto attiorbato, like a good many
>historical instruments in museums with fingerboard lengths under 60
>cm and extension strings of 75-85 cm, played with nails the way
>historical Italian players would likely have played it.

And early German and British 'cellists bowed underhand, while
overhand bowing was being developed by Italians as a new virtuoso
technique. We drive ourselves crazy trying to define, categorize, and
pigeon hole the past to complete our present understanding and arrive
at a comfortably defined musical territory or neighborhood to play
in. As for "guitars that look like lutes" check this out- (scroll ALL
the way down...) Nothing new under the sun, is there?

http://www.lutesandguitars.co.uk/htm/cat11.htm

The theorboed guitar - the Chitarrone Francese ?
Although this archlute-like instrument is also included in the
continuo instruments section of the website, we have listed it here
also because it appears to represent an overlooked approach to
playing figured bass. The instrument depicted in this very
accurately-draughted painting has five courses on the fingerboard
(with the top string clearly single) and nine diapasons - compared to
what would be expected on a similarly-sized archlute: six double
fingerboard courses and eight diapasons.
There is a reasonable likelihood that it was, in fact, used by
guitarists who strung and tuned the fingerboard courses like a
guitar, and who would be used to reading from the bass clef, so that
they could realise a figured bass part and play continuo on a
theorboed guitar, rather than learn the completely different archlute
tuning. The player's left hand almost exactly corresponds to chord
'L' in the alfabetto system (L corresponds to a difficult fingering
for a C minor chord) Sanz uses engravings of hands to illustrate the
chord positions in his 1697 book.