From: Rebecca Banks [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Tuning Blues

November 21st, 2007

Dear David:

     Thank you for your kind email.  I have already ordered the replacement
gut strings from AquilaUSA but may try the people you suggested as things
progress.  And I think I will try an A=415 tuning as it was just such a
tight wind on the D strings and so heartbreaking when they just broke.  I
had been using some peg paste but somehow I think the higher pitch I was
tuning it to A=440 was too high.  It is such a delicate instrument and very
beautiful but so light, very much the feminine, not quite what I was
expecting. (however the carvings are very beautiful).  I am much attracted
to swan necks and Lute/guitars although I do not think this is a very
popular stance, and quite guiltily am a little attracted by Julian Bream
metal frets and perhaps a more masculine, heavier body.  I think I would
like to eventually order an 1800's swan neck model and maybe a little more
heavier a little more like a guitar.  It is wonderful, people have different
tastes and it is so nice to be a!
 ble to indulge and get exactly what you like and everyone is different,
maybe I just need to explore the world of Lutes a little more and get to a
Lute Museum or to the Lute Lenders library at the Lute Society or a Lute
makers workshop.   It was the funniest thing when I picked up the Lute for
the first time, it was like the Lute was expecting a blonde girl of 12 years
and I was expecting a husband.  Still when I was playing it for the first
time there were the glimpses of the most wonderful sound.  Waiting for the
new strings to arrive is like waiting for Christmas.

      I am up in Montreal but may be going out on tour at some point, I
received a distribution contract offer for "Sleep quiet hearts . . . "
although I need financing to get into the studio to produce the CD (which is
only half written so far).  I hope to be back in the Studio by Summer in any
case.  Would love to drop by Maryland, but depends on how things progress.
Montreal is the city of love, the French are very appreciative of
musicians/songwriters, some good things have been happenning, random reports
of dancing in the Metro etc.  I must have played over 75 performances here
since May 2007.  Would love to take the Lute to the Metro but I don't know
if it will be heard over the trains and crowds.  I think I will try as soon
as I get the new strings.  Have a great evening!

Take care,

with thanks,

Rebecca Banks
Tea at Tympani Lane Records
www.tympanilanerecords.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Re: [LUTE] Re: Tuning BluesDate: Mon, 19
Nov 2007 22:35:54 -0500To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Rebecca,

I've been thinking how lucky you are to have a bass lute.  I've been
thinging of ordering a bass lute myself, so I can sing all my favorite lute
songs in a vocal range I can handle.

I'm so sorry to hear you've been having string problems on your new lute.
It sounds as though you might have been putting on the wrong guage strings
for your size of lute.  That's usually why strings will break.

A=440 is not necessarily just for guitarists:  it is the standard pitch used
by almost all musicians today for any instruments.  Have you ever heard
symphony orchestra tuning up before a concert?  First the concertmaster (the
first-chair violinist) stands up and plays the note A at the 440 frequency,
then all the instrumentalists join in and try to match the pitch on their
own instruments.  It's that famous moment of cacophony before the concert
begins.  You must have heard it, right?

 A=415 is about a half-step lower than A=440, and is used by some chamber
music players, and almost all Baroque soloists.  If you want to play you
lute with other players apart from the early-music freaks, use A=440.  The
"440" refers to frequencies per second of sound waves, or some such thing,
but if you want to get strings that will suit your lute, the string supplier
will always ask you if you want to string in 440 or 415.

I suggest you concact Chris Hendrickson at Boston Catlines (617-776-8688),
and tell him the playing length of your lute (the length of the open strings
from bridge to saddle), the standard pitch you want to use (A=440 or A=415),
and the fact that that you want it tuned in D as a bass lute.  He is a
professional lutenist, and a most reliable dealer in strings for early-music
instruments.  Any questions you might have about strings, he will be able to
answer for you.  I recommend him highly, in fact you can tell him I gave you
his number, as I regard him so highly as a leading lute-string authority.
He's also a very nice guy.  If you particularly want to use gut strings, you
can also try Daniel Larson, who makes his own gut strings.  Find his "string
store" at www.daniellarson.com.  Between Chris Henrickson and Dan Larson,
you'll get the best advice available.

Alternatively, you can try to unravel the mysteries of Aro Wikla's string
calculator (find it on his website).  Ask Arto to help you

Where are you located anyway?
are you anywhere near the Mid-Atlantic states:  Eastern Seaboard,
Cheasapeake bay, Virginia, North Carolina etc.?  We live in Frderick
Maryland.  Are we anywhere near striking distance from each other?  If we
are, it might be nice to meet up some time (in addition with some other
local players if you like) and talk all about lutes and lute playing.

Keep playing and singing, Rebecca, and I if can answer any lute-related
questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

David Rastall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.rastallmusic.com