Dear All
After leaving my bag in a motorway cajé with papers some music and Korg OT12 tuner, I was forced, while waiting for it to be sent on to me. (There are some honest people about!), to use my equal temperament Zen-on Chromatina 331 tuner. I bought this 20 years ago. Yes I know I should use my ears more, well I do both (belts and bracers).

I was actually surprised that the needle reading is much more pleasant than the Korg's digital read out, it is intuitively right, and furthermore, perhaps because it is less accurate, it has absolutely no problem with gimped bass strings. The Korg seems always completely unable to 'extract the fundamental' and goes all over the place. The needle on the Chromatina seems to behave much closer to how the ear does. Any slight lowering in string tension(what ever the string) sees the needle move down (and vice versa).

I wonder whether it is because the Zenon is less accurate, less sophisticated, or has a better algorithm. Perhaps, it has no algorithm but functions on some much more basic principle. Oh for a cross between a Peterson a Korg and a Zen-on: a completely programmable tuner, but with a needle reading.

Any ideas about this. Yes I know you are going to tell me to swap my gimped for wirewounds!!!
and that the Korg is telling me that the string has gone false

One big problem with the Zen-on is that batteries don't last, and of course it is equal temperament.
Regards
Anthony