Granted, with the proviso that only those who can afford to prosecute
the violator have actual protection. However, this is exactly not the
case I was describing. BB cannot claim ownership of the intellectual
property of Odhecaton: the composers, editors and typesetters of the
original are long dead. (And, I might add, unlikely to rise from death
to prosecute SCA arrangers!) In their original facsimile, BB only
endeavored to reproduce what was there, which while it requires craft,
does not require the kind of creative qualities Copyright was intended
to protect. None-the-less, they have a copyright, so the question
remains. Is a xerox of a facsimile which removes all but the image
which the facsimile is attempting to reproduce a violation of the
copyright on the facsimile?

There seems a parallel to, say, a medly that contains a public domain
song. Let us make it even more parallel: a public domain song from a
source which is held privately by the arranger. If another arranger
takes the melody and arranges it, have they violated the copyright of
the first arranger? Yes, he privately owns the manuscript from which
the melody came, and could make money, one presumes, from sale of it,
or by selling access to it. But the melody is, ultimately, in the
public domain, and his exposure of it in an arrangement does not make
it his. Or does it, under the law?

Ray