In this somewhat nihilistically arcane vein I recall Dmitri
Shostakovich's instructions on playing his 15th string quartet: "I
want you to play it so that flies drop dead in midair, and that by
the end of the first movement the entire audience has gotten up and
left the building."  -as best as I can recall, from an English
translation.   -Dan