If indeed it is Minidvd tape, not VHS, and assuming it is not HDV, I
really recommend taking the tape and the camera that recorded it,
and play the audio and video into your timeline using a firewire
cable..your computer should recognize the camera and pull the data in.
The audio will appear synched on a separate track.
If it was a sony camcorder, there is the possibility that the audio
is in 5.1, you just have to check the camera settings.
You can also put the tape in a professional, or prosumer camera, and
read the EXIF data.
This data will tell you what the framerate and bit depth is.

Newer cameras record at different frame rates. If it was shot at 24p
the audio won't sync.
Also check the framerate on your timeline. It should match your camcorder.

Lastly, when editing video and audio together, unless you have a very
fast computer, either the video or the audio will suffer.
Try setting the video display to draft, then render twenty seconds
from the middle just to check that it is not a playback issue.

Be patient, it is very complicated. When I shoot video, I remove all
the extra frames in the video that are interpolated to get a precise sync.

There are plenty of demuxing programs that will do it fast, sometimes
there are some sunc issues.

dt