Hello David and Taco

I'm not an expert on lute building, but if I made correct observations, the arciliuto romano has NOT a theorbo body. They are rounder and much deeper: Martinus Harz 1665 (Edinburgh): 43 ribs, belly 53.1x36x17 cm, string legths 67.3*/143.8 *= the neck was shortened; originally at least 71; 6x2 / 8x1 Martinus Harz 1665 (Geneva): 47 ribs, 53.5x36.4x19 cm, 72.9/156; 1x1 + 5x2 / 8x1
Antonio Giauna 1694: 27 ribs, 55x36.5x19.5 cm, 71/159.5; 6x2 / 8x1
Cinzio Rotondi 1699: 25 ribs, 53.4x36.2x17 cm, 73/162; 6x2 / 8x1
Josef de Carnitis / Cinzio Rotondi 1705: 25 ribs, 52.6x36.8x16.6, 72.8/154.1; 6x2 / 8x1
David Techler 1725: 15 ribs, 52.8x36.6x18.7, 71.1/155.5; 6x2 / 8x1

The pitch (chorista si San Pietro) was ca. 380 Hz.

Interesting are the traces of the little fingr on the Harz of Geneva! They go from the "normal" point just at the end of the bridge and then BEHIND the bridge until the third / fourth course!!!

Andreas