On Friday 07 December 2007 12:01, LGS-Europe rattled on the keyboard:
> Ivo and Lynda write that a regional instrument was invented from the
> 1660 instead of the theorbo: the arciliuto romana in g (without re-
> entrant tuning) with a string length on the "petit jeu" of 71-73 cm
> (a'= around 380-386 Hz).
> <<
>
> That is interesting!
>
> A quick calculation for the first string comes to something close to 0.40
> gut (if I'm correct). That makes sense with today's knowledge/experience of
> string making/using that 0.40 or a little thinner is about as thin as you
> can get, within safety limits.

Or was the calculation the other way round? 71cm with a minimum string
diameter of 0.40 gives an a of 380Hz? Question remains how somebody would
play with other instruments tuned at 440 or 415, if not a horrible 466....
Perhaps by making a mental switch and think that your instrument is tuned in
something else?

> Was this a newly invented instrument, or just a smallish theorbo, like many
> of us have today, tuned in g instead of a, like many of us do today, and
> with as few re-entrant strings as possible, like many of us have today?
> What I mean to ask is, is it a different species of theorbo, or just a
> smallish 'normal' one, strung to its possibilities? Philosophical question,
> perhaps; what defines a new species of theorbo? Anyway, interesting to see
> today's practises copied in the past. ;-)
>
> David - theorbo of 76cm tuned in a, with two re-entrant strings, 415 or 440
> as needed, but next week 466! (don't tell him yet)
466, ough. Why do they make such decisions... Violinplayers almost never
choose different string diameters, so they will like it too.
taco