Arto,

Just because the lutes are old does not mean they are not good.  I have an
old 10 course lute by James Mackie, 1980, and it is very nice.  I also have
a 13 course Burkholtzer by Richard Berg, 1984, and it is one of the finest
sounding baroque lutes imaginable.

Are old violins not as good as new ones?

ed