Some historic builders had their own problems- if I remember my secondary sources correctly, the Thirty Years War wiped out the lute building center of Füssen and all lute building traditions associated with it; consequently some of the German 18th century lute building standards were just not up to par ("inauthentically" weighted/shaped) for some time, hence E.G. Baron preferring certain foreign made instruments. Perhaps a less foggy mind could weigh in and help me out here. Dan

Good point, and it would depend on the period of course.
Anthony

Or could it be that the old makers themselves each had
a spot on the heavy/light continuum depending on
region, taste, musical style, etc.?  I would suspect
there would be a lot of variation in minor details of
lute construction the non-standardized past.
Chris