----- Original Message ----- From: "howard posner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lute Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 4:07 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Swanneck + loaded strings

When I met Toyohiko in 1982, he was using nylon trebles that he
twisted (with a small manual drill) to increase their density and
make them more like gut.  I tried it for a while; more trouble than
it was worth.

By the way, twisting doesn't increase density. It makes strings more flexible and so they fret more accurately (thick nylon strings in particularly), at the same time become quite unstable, i.e. go out of tune all the time. It is possible to 'fix' the twisting by heating the string all along its length so that it becomes more permanent but ... now that's all in the history.

Alexander