Jaroslaw

Now, one question pervades me: If there had been a technology allowing for the thin close wound strings to be manufactured, wouldn't it have been used
by luthists in 18th century?

First authenticity, in relation to the instrument, does not of course guarantee authenticity in performance; it is only one factor that may assist the performer attain that goal, if indeed that is their goal. There are many other contradictory tensions that may draw some performers in other directions, such as a desire to satisfy the tastes of a modern audience, who may not stand a performer retuning every ten minutes, and might prefer a good tune to any complex polyphony that you the performer would like to give them. Obviously, every one resolves this contradiction in their own way, and there is no one answer for all performers and all playing contexts.

Now if we limit ourselves to the subject of authenticity, this must always be a question of degree, and even of taste. It is impossible to reconstruct all the playing conditions of times gone by. We can't forget that we have heard Dowland played by Julian Bream. We can't forget that we know the sound of the modern guitar, and all types of modern and exotic musics that the historic performer/composer could not possibly know. On the other hand, from a very early age, they could have been steeped in a knowledge of lutes and strings, and the sounds of their time, that we can never hope to regain; all this must surely make up part of the aesthetics of the period that we can never hope to attain. Indeed one aspect of reconstruction is often much ridiculed, I think partly because it brings out how hopeless our attempts at reconstruction may be, that of wearing period clothes. Such performances always seem so dated just a few years later; but that should warn us that even in the reconstruction of musical instruments, there are bound to be fashions, and the reconstructed instrument of today will most probably be recognizably different from that same reconstructed instrument in fifty years time (shudders, as we think of the Pleyel harpsichord).

Taking all that for granted, nevertheless, as I said to Dan, for certain musician-composers, who were trying to extract and even go beyond the possibilities of the instrument they were playing, it is possible that by going back to a lute with "authentic" stringing can actually make us feel the limits they were stretching against, or trying to use to the maximum. Just removing the limit may actually eliminate some of the structural tensions in the music, and simply make it less interesting. However, the particular string types were not just limiting to the composer, they have specific qualities and timbre that the composer would have exploited. The texture of gut, loaded strings, demi-filé, and full wounds is quite different, the feel as well as the sound texture. As Ed; says it takes time to adapt to a gut bass, but the way you have to play these basses to release their power, has a completely different effect from the soft attack on a wire-wound in an attempt to damp their sustain. Had the composer created music with these in mind, he surely would have exploited, in some way their ability to sustain. So much of the trills and flourishes are there on the contrary to compensate for that lack of sustain. In the hands of the good performer this then becomes a quality rather than a limit or defect.

However, as these open wound strings, as such are not on the market, who am I to say that they are an essential ingredient in the process of recreating this music. "Theoretically " they may be, but the performer has to contend both with such laudable aims, and other necessities, which bring us all to make compromises. At present we must choose between two non-historic options (according to MP). We can go for an earlier technology: pure gut, Venice, or Pistoys, or a later technology: wirewounds, or we can side step and adopt Gimped Pistoys, which are in between gut Pistoys and open wound. In the first case we have far more sustain than with the Demifilé, in the case of the Pistoy far less, and perhaps with the Gimped, something a little closer, but still marginally less. Each performer has to make this choice, and you surely have the right to your particular solution.
I am not talking about the synthetic strings.
Copper wound on any natural core (silk or gut) is 100% natural too.
The only problem could be the unwanted resonance, but this I believe can be
overcome with the proper playing technique.

I haven't myself used demi-filé, but the lutist who spent an hour and a half on MP's lute, with these strings, was so impressed he wants to give up wire-wounds altogether, and use pure gut Venice twine (as he can't have demi-filé). This is probably, just as historically incorrect as using full wirewounds, but after playing that lute, he feels wire-wounds are just not right, because of their full sustain, that the open just filé didn't have. Modern lutists can learn to damp resonances (as you say), that is indeed part of the skills of the modern guitarist; but the early lutist had to contend with the opposite problem: lack of sustain, not with damping over resonant strings, and this has effected the music. Acknowledging this, some French lutists are using woven nylon (a non historic material) to recreate less sustain, but others complain about their plasticky sound quality. Some use very old tarnished worn copper full-wounds, I don't feel those have a very good sound.

I would just like to say, however, that it is not because a musician would have liked to have had access to new technology, that this means we can interpret their music better by making that technological jump for them. Might they not have written something even more to the limits of the new technology (why would they be any more satisfied with the limits of our present technology)? This is just a thought. I just want to take your argument and see how far we can go with it. Just what sort of technological jump can we make from the context of the performer/ composer before we all feel the result is unacceptable? Also what do we learn from a perfomance on an early period instrument that we don't from a modern counterpart. Beethoven on a modern piano is acceptable to most of us, but period instruments do give us a different insight.

In some cases most of us would probably agree about what isn't an acceptable historic compromise or technological jump.The problem becomes more delicate when we ask ourselves what IS an acceptable technological leap. In the case of the open-wounds, the jump, forwards, backwards, or to the side is just a question of personal taste. We all have to jump, at least for the moment.

However, how far can this argument be taken?. A French lutist for example argued to me that had Dowland heard synthetics, he would undoubtedly have preferred them. Someone else suggested he would have preferred the classical guitar over the lute. He might have done, but he couldn't, and so he remains a composer constrained by the tastes and the technology that was available to him at the time; and certain musical choices would have ensued from that. Dowland is perhaps a marginal case, however, because all his lute music was not composed directly on the lute, and much was transposed to other instruments. The music of certain composers does seem to allow a much larger technological jump before all is completely lost (Bach comes to mind). However, who is for a concert of Rameau on the modern piano (it was not so long ago that this was commonplace); and who could honestly listen to a concert of Charles Mouton on the guitar? Now isn't this really the same problem, taken to a greater degree: that of gut or demi-filé basses being replaced by wirewounds (where should the qualitative jump be situated)? Where do we place the limit?

The acceptable limit is surely constantly shifting, as few of us would even listen to Rameau on one of those heavy Pleyel harpsichords, today, even less perhaps, than on a piano. We are certainly having serious problems with heavy lutes.

My impression is that Mimmo Peruffo's research is just pushing at those limits, and forcing us to reevaluate them. I am not suggesting that we all take to demi-filé and loaded strings, Mimmo could not respond, in any case. We do all have to make compromises, and at all periods, performers have probably played music from earlier times, on the "wrong" instruments, often with excellent success. German Baroque musicians playing French Baroque music for example (replacing loaded-strings with demifilé), so why not today replace demifilés with wirewounds? We certainly can and many of us do, and some of us very well. I certainly wouldn't stop you.
Regards
Anthony