I'll not quarrel with Din's list, nor with Tim on the source of hand tools, but will make a couple of comments of my own.

I live about five minutes from the Englishtown (NJ) Auction - it is not an auction but a flea market that covers a number of acres on the weekends. Some things sold there have "fallen off a truck", others are pure schlock - but many of the vendors have collected the "junk" from various garages and yard sales. You can find old Stanley planes, fine chisels, and various other hand tools in bad cosmetic condition. If you know what you are looking for you can get quite a bargain. My classic Stanley hand drill was listed at 8 bucks on the tag, but when I held it up and said "how much" the guy said $6. The shaft is true, and I cleaned it up - it is far better than the plastic ones they sell now for $15, and a lot cheaper than the Lee Valley or Woodcraft reproductions that are narly $50.

The band saw is indispensible. Mine is a 10" Craftsman that I got on sale - the key to this model is that it has a depth of cut of 4 5/8" (where most 10" saws are closer to 4") - that gives plenty of room for resawing ribs from stock. It also has "roller" guides standard. My cost for that saw was $110.

I confess that some of my planes are often on the coffee table, but Tim is right - that is when I'm too lazy to put them back in the shop (I do a lot of my work in my lap in my favorite armchair in front of the TV with a Molson's Golden at my side).

I have spent some money on planes - I like the Lee Valley (Veritas) planes. They aren't cheap, but a bit cheaper than Lie-Nielson. I have an LV low angle block, an LV standard block, and an LV wide body low angle smoother. I also like their low angle spokeshave.

Din said one thing that I thought was my own. I believe it was the late Duchess of Windsor who said "you can never be too rich or too thin". My paraphrase has always been "you can never have too many clamps". I have C clamps (I think that is what Brits call G clamps), I have plastic pinch clamps of all sizes, I have old fashioned wood clamps, I have long and short "sliding" clamps. Din seems to agree.

Irons, or blades, must be sharp. After trying various things I blew my budget on a Jet low speed 10" water wheel (the equivalent of the Tormek, but a few bucks cheaper). I use both waterstones and ceramic stones for my edges - and agree on the Veritas Mk II for plane irons, the ability to duplicate the angle is superb. But even on my "flat" blades I hollow grind on the 10" wheel. I do woodturning, and the infamous skew chisel is supposed to have a flat blade. But to paraphrase a recent President "that depends on the meaning of flat". If one takes a shallow hollow on a large wheel then one can create the "flat" by honing the blade and the shoulder in line with hand stones. It reduces the amount of material one has to remove to preserve both the edge and the shoulder - a bit of extra work to start, but makes it easier to maintain.

The drill press is not necessary, but I do other work and so am glad to have it for drilling. And it also provides a platform for the Luthier's Friend, and the Wagner Saf-T-Plane. I'm not a great fan of the Luthier's Friend, given the other things I have. But I got it early in my making of the shop, I was one of (mental block on the name, and I'm not going to look in my files at the moment)'s first customers. We exchanged pleasant emails at the time. Nothing wrong with it, a good design, but a jig I could have made easily. The $35 Wagner Saf-T-Plane is an efficient planer, and with care can leave a decent surface. It works off a drill press, but you need to make a table jig (a fence and a melamine surface bolted to the DP).

A Dremel tool, with the Router attachment. Remove the fence from the attachment and make a triangular jig to replace it and you can make a fine rabbet around a curved surface to set a "rim" inlay.

I hate my combination 6" disk/ 1" belt sander. It is noisy and takes a lot of material off quickly. But I use it, very carefully.

Unless you want to make your own pegs you don't need a lathe, but I love working with the lathe so I'll speak of it. I have a Delta Midi, which has a swing of 10" and a length of 14 1/2". I'd like to replace it with a Penn State Industries variable speed - or one of the several new midi's with a bit better length and swing for the same price. But I have no excuse to do it - the Delta works beautifully, and I've not tried to make a bowl even approaching the 10" swing yet. Just the usual woodworker's desire for a bit more. I do make my own pegs. Penn State Industries does have a conversion motor for about $100 with variable speed (the Delta, and others, vary the speed by shifting the belt, the variable does it with the motor).

There are other machines in the shop, but not relevant to this discussion. I'm awaiting an Indian made plow plane from Highland, I don't know why I ordered it except that it was half the price of the Lee Valley one, and twice the price of the rosewood one from Japan Woodworking. Actually I know what I'm going to do with it - but that gets back to making harps and psalteries. It is too easy to make a mistake making the recess for the soundboard, and for the sides and back, with a router. I'd rather work and fit, work and fit.

Enough for tonight, pardon the length of the message - but you should be used to Murph Says by now.

Best, Jon