Anthony,

I see the reason of T.O not only in terms of stretch, but in relation to the
role of the bass in the music of the 17th and 18th century, where the bass
is much more active and perhaps also needs a heavier sound. The Thumb index
alternation is no longer used because the thumb has to play the lower lines,
so we need to alternate index and middle with the help of slurs.

This could be an explanation of baroque lute's technique but why Dowland
would do such a change is a mistery to me. Most of his pieces require only a
7 course lute...