Are,

I had a quick look through the libro primo di lauto, but could not find any indication of more than 10 courses. You must be mixing up the primo di chitarone.

G.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Are Vidar Boye Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:01 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Kapsberger's lute (was: banchieri and the Theorbo in G)

be that the lute in question here actually is a 10/11-corse liuto
attiorbato?

If that means, 1st and 2nd courses normal (like on the lute), the answer
is no. All pieces of Libro prima require 1st and 2nd courses down the
octave. (Nevertheless, one might want to discuss one or another
toccata.)

Ops, I was thinking about the Libro primo for lute, not the Libro primo
for chitarrone. The recordings I know of the music from that book is
played on a regular french 10-course lute, but I have wondered if
Kapsberger might have had a liuto attiorbato in mind, not the least
because I have heard that the music actually requires an 11-course
instrument in a few places.

Are