On 2008-02-05, at 17:33, LGS-Europe wrote:

Recorder and viol players are often shocked at the slowness of speeds requested by lutenists for broken consort music (Morley 1599 et al), and a compromise has to be reached.
<<

One of the top lute players once confessed to me why he is no longer playing with his broken ensemble (we were talkng about the English repertoire), becouse the other parts, beside of the lute, are so boring, mostly in very long notes, that nobody really wants to play it with him. It is undertandable then, every flute or viola player tends to play all the whole and half notes faster. Of course hard to finde a compromise. Easy-dificult music and only one has fun.

Jurek