Good email, David.

I had four lute lessons, two from Jacob Lindberg, two from David Miller.
Learned enough to realise that these guys could play better than they could
teach. Been stumbling on my own for years now. Made my own mistakes. Found
my own voice (for better or worse).

I think it would be a shame if we started to emulate classical guitar
pedagogy. Every year there are AMAZING guitarists coming out of these
institutions, far more than we ever hear about. There is no work for
99.99per cent of them. Most of the ones I've heard sound like wannabe
David
Russell's. I like the fact that every lute player sounds different. The less
streamlining the better, IMHO.

We can learn a lot from these newsgroups, I know I have. With a little less
bitching, a little more sharing, we could all learn a lot more from each
other. Especially now more players are utilising video. I intend to try it
myself sometime.

How much did lute players learn about music (not just lute playing) in the
Renaissance and Baroque periods?

As for your last paragraph - there are of course already quite a few
institutions with a formal lute programme. They tend to be in capital
cities. Do we really NEED more?

Rob