Dear Martin,

That is an interesting pair of works that you published.  The
Hirsch version is the same as a fantasia (or fuga--the titles are
not specific for each piece) in Elias Mertal, _Hortus Musicalis
Novus_ (Strasbourg 1615), No. 79 (pp. 222-3).  Probably the
proper
title is Fuga.  I have a transcription (App. 4) like yours in
parallel systems, and can send it if you are interested.  I do
think quite
a few of Francesco's works were conceived as ensemble part music,
including several pieces called "fuga." Not necessarily was it
by Julio da Modena.

Judging from the ornamentation, the Hirsch/Mertel version was
second, and an attempt to make the piece canzona-like.

Or I'll post the transcriptions to my site.  Let me know.

Best regards, Arthur.
=====AJN (Boston, Mass.)=====
*  Free Download of the Week from Classical Music Library:

For this week's free download from Classical Music Library go to
my web page
and click on Alexander Street Press link:

http://mysite.verizon.net/arthurjness/

*Vaughan Williams'_ Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis___*
performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra; Christopher
Seaman, conductor. More
information about this piece is available on our  music blog
<http://alexanderstreet.typepad.com/music>.

For some free scores, go to:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/arthurjnesslutescores/