On Mar 23, 2008, at 6:47 PM, igor . wrote:

> no David : check my earlier messsage ! why do i have to remind you
> all the time to read and see  well ?

Okay, okay, I promise to watch everything all the way to the end in
future.  My bad.  But I'm still curious.  Perhaps someone else can
enlighten me...?

Was there never a time when vihuela and archlute existed together?

Personally I would have used a Shubb capo:  those elastic ones are
harmful to the instrument.  But more seriously, did they never use
capo's in the old days?  Assuming they did (and how can anyone prove
they didn't?), what difference does it make to the music what kind of
capo he used?

Renaissance bow?  Not entirely unthinkable for a viol player back in
the day to use an old-fashioned bow once in a while.  Inadvisable, if
it really does make a difference to the music perhaps, but not
necessarily unHIP.  Now if he had been using a modern bow, I would
agree that's definitely unHIP.

David R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]