On Mar 23, 2008, at 1:02 PM, Sean Smith wrote:

> I'll judge the performance to whether it atchieves the goals of the
> music, the composer, the players and the director.

That's a lot of goals!  Not always easy to reconcile.

Plus we have to add into the mix the caprices of the audience.  I can
choose to be entertained.  Or I can demand more HIP, and dismiss the
whole thing as a "circus."  (Is that logical?)  Or I can get
gossippy, and point out that EK (looking very "seventies" in this
video, don't you think?) is not playing the vihuela but rather an
archlute (which we all know is the dreaded single-strung variety),
and also wonder where the capo is.

> When a Spike Jones score calls for a C# pistol shot, we really
> should find a C# pistol but do we really need to find a period
> revolver?

Not entirely out of the question.  Period movies such as Master and
Commander or Pirates of the Carribean use some kind of "period" sound
for cannon and musket fire.

DR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]