From: Anthony Hind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Frets
To: "Martyn Hodgson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "lute@cs.dartmouth.edu Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Date: Monday, 12 May, 2008, 1:17 PM
Dear Martyn
        Although the book by Lundberg  "Historical Lute
Construction", gives
the explanation I copied, I don't think that
"Historical Lute" in the
title means historical technique as concerns fret tying.
The Dowland indications you give are interesting, but I see
there is
no difference between Fret 1 and fret 2, if taken literally
(but
perhaps it is meant to be a guide, not to be taken
absolutely
literally).

You are advocating a low action with a first fret of around
0,70,
perhaps modern fretting (which seems to be higher) is
influenced by
other modern instruments, or determined by modern strings.

Lundberg only considers high and low action as an element
in choosing
fret height. Could string tension and string-type also play
a role in
deciding the fret height. Loaded strings, and some Venice
types, are
very supple and tend to have a wide movement,could this not
effect
choice of fret height, also? (I just quoted Lundberg,
hoping his
experience might be of use to others, but I have not had
cause to try
out the advice he gives).

  I certainly do not as yet have practise in fretting
different
instruments with different string types. Obviously, a lute
maker will
be confronted with lutes having high to low actions and
varied string
types, so i would expect you to have experience in this
area that I
don't have at all.
Thanks for any additional clarification on this subject.

I am just thinking that for most of us, single fretting is
already a
fretful exercise (sorry) but double fretting would have to
give a
very clear advantage to make me go to the extra effort and
cost.
However, if there really is an advantage in it, perhaps I
would try.
Regards
Anthony

following.